top of page
  • committee807

Our boats

Updated: Aug 21, 2022

Britannia is unique in that it holds fast to tradition, we are one of the few Sea Scout troops in New Zealand that still sail and maintain a large number of wooden boats. Every winter we take a few of the boats out of the water and carry out a complete refit to prepare the boat for the forthcoming sailing season.


Cutters

Britannia owns 4 wooden cutters, built in 1945 - 1955 from New Zealand Kauri making them some of the oldest wooden boats still in active use.


Brittania - 10

Undoubtedly the flag ship of the fleet — the longest serving cutter and boat we have ever had in our Group — Britannia is the pride of our fleet and much treasured. It was built by the O'Rorke Bros. of Auckland and launched in 1947 by M.P. Mr Marshall. The Britannia represents us mostly at regattas as our flagship. The Britannia wins plenty of races against newer fibre glass boats.


Gordon Campbell - 9

Apparently built in 1945 and named Maroro inn under the Port Nicholson Sea Scout Group. The name was later changed to Gordon Campbell after Rear Admiral Gordon Campbell VC, DSO and Two Bars, a naval hero of the First World War, the name was changed to this presumably by Cpt. W. McLeod D.S.C. who was one of the leaders, who was part of Gordon Campbell’s crew on one of his many mystery ships that sought out submarines. The Gordon Campbell is the sister ship to Amokura (11) because they both share the same mold for the makeup of their hull. The Gordon Campbell is built by Fairly Motors from Farlie Canterbury. The boat came into Britannia’s hands in 2007. The boat went under an extensive repair job spanning 4 years. The Gordon Campbell is one of the more popular and lighter Cutters to sail.


Amokura - 11

The Amokura was built in 1949 by Jones Motor Company, Fairlie. The cutter is named after the (training ship) T.s. Amokura, after one of the ships old boys’ reunions, Britannia had a lot to do with the old boys and regularly let them use our boats. The Sea Cadets down the road are called Amokura also because the training ship was mainly to do with Sea Cadets. The Amokura is the sister ship to the Gordon Campbell (9) because they share the same mold of their hulls.


Falcon - 12

The Falcon was built by Akoroa Boatbuilding Co. in 1955. Her name comes from the play ‘The Middle Watch’ which was performed in February of 1955. The funds from this play helped to build the boat and on the opening day the 19th of November 1955 Miss Nola Miller, the play's producer, officially launched the Falcon.

Sunbursts

Britannia has 8 Sunbursts, which are 2-person sailing dinghies. Most of our Sunbursts are wooden but we now own 2 new fibreglass boats and another older one.


Takapu - 381


Rakau - 390


Solar Flair -1202

Donated to us by Lainy Cowan, a member of the Evans Bay Yacht Club. Has had a colour change from Maroon to the Britannia Blue.


Banana Boat - 1208

Our only fibreglass false floor Sunburst. Donated by the Ngati Toa Sea Scouts which the boat was surplus to requirements. Needed a bit of work to bring it up to usable condition. Originally called 'W Complex' but is known to the group as the 'Banana Boat' due to it being bright yellow.


Aurora - 1834

A brand new fiberglass Sunburst built by Davie Norris Boatbuilders in 2016. Funded through grants.


Eclipse - 1835

A brand new fiberglass Sunburst built by Davie Norris Boatbuilders in 2016. Funded through grants.


Dinghies

Britannia owns 2 small wooden dinghies that we use for general rowing.


The Coniston

The Coniston is a 27ft 'Montagu' Ex-Naval whaler that was loaned to us. A year later the boat was purchased by the group and now resides on a mooring outside the hall. It is our heavy weather boat. We take it sailing when the wind gets up and when we have large groups of visitors.


Toia

Our rescue boat. Acquired from the Port of Wellington in 2004.



36 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comentarios


Britannia Sea Scout Hall

421 Evans Bay Parade, Hataitai, Wellington 6021

 

We are right on the water among the boatsheds, 100m north of Evans Bay Yacht Club

 

 

© Britannia Sea Scouts 2024

bottom of page